[redland-dev] Redland for Mac Intel

Dave Beckett dave at dajobe.org
Sun May 21 00:20:21 BST 2006

Demetrius Nunes wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Has anyone successfully compiled Redland for the new Intel Mac OS X?
> I've tried here and failed.

not I

> I apparently managed to compile Redland itself ("make check" works)
> but when I try to compile the Ruby bindings, it says I don't have
> Redland installed (I did "sudo make install" before).
>
> I get this message when I run "./configure" on the redland-bindings
> package:
>
> checking for redland-config... no
> checking redland library source... configure: error: internal redland
> sources not found in directories: ../redland ../librdf ..

The clue is that it didn't find the redland-config program in your PATH
while building the redland bindings.  When you build redland, and 'make
install', redland-config should be installed to PREFIX/bin dir.  Add that to
your PATH when building the bindings, and it should go better.

> I think something is wrong, because I did manage to compile and
> install redland itself before compiling the bindings. Nevertheless, I
> insisted by placing redland sources on the required directory, and
> then managed to compile.
>
> But when I run "make check" on the ruby directory, I get:
>
> FAILED returned status 133
> ruby -I.. -I../lib ./test_uri.rb
> Checking test_query.rb dyld: NSLinkModule() error
> dyld: Symbol not found: _librdf_log_message_locator
>  Referenced from: ../redland.bundle
>  Expected in: flat namespace
>
> The same goes if I try requiring redland library on a Ruby console:
> irb(main):001:0> require 'redland'
> dyld: NSLinkModule() error
> dyld: Symbol not found: _librdf_log_message_locator
>  Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.5.2/redland.bundle
>  Expected in: flat namespace
>
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> So, could anyone help? Thanks in advance.

These errors are probably because somehow the redland shared libraries are
not installed into the default place that OSX looks for.  You can either put
them in the standard place or use the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to set it
to a non-standard path.  See 'man dyld' for info.

In this case maybe:
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib