[redland-dev] Compiling Python binding on OSX

Dave Beckett dave at dajobe.org
Sat Aug 4 01:44:06 BST 2007

Aurelien Mazurie wrote:

>     Hello,
>     I'm trying to compile the Python bindings for librdf on my OSX box
> (10.4.10). Is there somebody that tried that already? I get a linking
> error but I can't figure out how to correct it (compiling librdf itself
> already was a pain due to a bug for the version detection of flex).

Could you say more about that?

> What's weird is that the log show no reference to the Python framework
> and libraries I have. Maybe it's the problem?
>
>     Here's an excerpt of the output:
>
> ...redland-bindings-1.0.6.1 % make
> Making all in python
> Making all in test
> make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> gcc -Wall -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wmissing-declarations -Wredundant-decls -g   -I/usr/local/include
> -DSWIG_PYTHON_SILENT_MEMLEAK -Wall -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wredundant-decls -g
> -Wl,-F. -Wl,-F. -bundle Redland_wrap.so `redland-config --libs` -o
> Redland.so
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _PyArg_ParseTuple
> _PyArg_UnpackTuple
>
> ... some lines cut here ...
>
> _raptor_locator_byte
> _raptor_locator_column
> _raptor_locator_file
> _raptor_locator_line
> _raptor_locator_uri
> _raptor_unicode_char_to_utf8
> _raptor_version_decimal
> _raptor_version_major
> _raptor_version_minor
> _raptor_version_release
> _raptor_version_string
> _rasqal_version_decimal
> _rasqal_version_major
> _rasqal_version_minor
> _rasqal_version_release
> _rasqal_version_string
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [Redland-stamp] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Clearly the question is - where did you install redland/raptor/rasqal ?
It's not in the default library search path that is used.

It's also not in the path that `redland-config --libs` prints.

Once you figure out why that's the case, it should work.

For what it is worth, I develop on Linux and OSX and check things
work on both.  Since sourceforge abandoned helping open source devels
in this are, there are no other compile farms with a variety of systems
available.