[redland-dev] raptor and rasqal compile problems with --disable-maintainer-mode

Dave Beckett dave at dajobe.org
Tue Feb 6 05:17:42 UTC 2007

Dutton, Jeff wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I am compiling everything from subversion source (r11865) and having
> problems when I disable maintainer mode.  I am (as a previous thread
> advised) disabling maintainer mode to avoid seeing debug messages in our
> daily use of Redland.
>

> raptor> ./autogen.sh --disable-maintainer-mode
> raptor> make
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `turtle_lexer.lo', needed by
> `libraptor.la'.  Stop.
> The Makefile rules to build turtle/n3 lexer/parser are commented out in
> makefile.in unless --enable-mainter-mode.  Both turtle and n3 are
> included as part of "all" in the configure script.
>

> rasqal> ./autogen.sh --disable-maintainer-mode
> rasqal> make
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `rdql_lexer.lo', needed by
> `librasqal.la'.  Stop.
>
> The Makefile rules to build the rdql/sparql lexer/parser are commented
> out in Makefile.in unless --enable-maintainer-mode.

You need to run it with --enable-maintainer-mode at least once, in
order to get the pre-built flex and bison files to be created.  Then
you can disable it to stop the verbose debugging.  It's done this
way so people don't have to have the very up-to-date versions of
flex and bison that I rely on, but can use the generated files.

i.e. use this sequence
./configure --enable-maintainer-mode
make
make dist # just to be sure.  It may moan about missing things

then rebuild for a regular developer:
./configure
make clean
make

and you should be ok... as long as I don't change any automake
stuff in SVN, since without maintainer mode, it won't get re-run
automatically.