[redland-dev] Chickens and Eggs

Lyle Johnson lyle.johnson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 17:26:19 UTC 2007

I'm trying to get a handle on the build dependencies for the various
pieces of Redland, as a precursor to doing the MacPorts of the same.
I'm a little confused about the different configuration options for
Rasqal, specifically with regards to the "--with-triples-source"
option.

One option is that the user doesn't care about using Rasqal with
Redland. In that case, she just configures Rasqal to use raptor (the
default) as the triples source. This option I understand.

Suppose that she *does* want to use Rasqal with Redland, though, and
neither Rasqal nor Redland is installed yet. If she builds Rasqal
first, she obviously can't configure it to use Redland as its triples
source, and thereby can't take advantage of the "much more efficient
indexed in-memory store" that the Redland triples source would
provide. If she builds Redland first, it's not going to see a "system"
version of Rasqal and so it will use the Rasqal that's bundled with
Redland -- right? And that will also allow Rasqal to use the Redland
triples source?

I promise I'm not trying to make this more complicated than it is. The
main task is to figure out how many different variations to put
together for MacPorts. So far, the list looks to be (1) standalone
raptor, (2) standalone rasqal (which depends on raptor) and (3)
redland (which includes rasqal and depends on raptor).