[redland-dev] autogen.sh and version numbers

Knud Hinnerk Möller knud.moeller at deri.org
Wed Sep 26 17:18:21 BST 2007

Hi all,

I'm having a little nightmare here installing the latest version of  =

Redland. Most of it is probably very Mac-specific and also specific  =

to my system, so I will only bore you with it at the end of this  =

mail. However, one thing I noticed seems to be a general problem with  =

the autogen.sh script and its behaviour regarding version number  =

checking. I have automake1.10 installed, and autogen claims that  =

v1.10 < 1.7 - this is not surprising, if the test assumes that these  =

version numbers are floats. Anything that can be done about this? I  =

have a vague idea what is happening in the script, but I don't really  =

feel confident enough to adjust it to do more intelligent checking.

Now the boring, mac- and me-specific part:

I used MacPorts to update all the required programs (automake,  =

autoconf, ...) to the latest versions. Unfortunately, MacPorts  =

installs everything into /opt/local/bin, whereas the previous  =

versions are in /usr/bin. Both /opt/local/bin and /usr/bin are on the  =

$PATH, which is a mess. Is there a way for me to a.) clean up this  =

mess (sorry, this question is totally Redland-unrelated, please  =

ignore it if it annoys you), or b.) make autogen.sh only consider / =

opt/local/bin as a quick fix?

Thanks for listening!

Cheers,
Knud

PS: I'm aware of the MacPorts Redland port, which worked fine for me.  =

However, this port doesn't include the language bindings, and it's  =

the Ruby bindings I'm really interested in. There doesn't seem to be  =

a port file for those.
Knud M=F6ller, MA
+353 - 91 - 495086
Smile Group: http://smile.deri.ie
Digital Enterprise Research Institute
   National University of Ireland, Galway
Institi=FAid Taighde na Fiontra=EDochta Digit=ED
   Ollscoil na h=C9ireann, Gaillimh