[redland-dev] autogen.sh and version numbers

Lauri Aalto laalto at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 20:04:26 BST 2007

On 9/26/07, Knud Hinnerk Möller <knud.moeller at deri.org> wrote:
> I'm having a little nightmare here installing the latest version of Redland.
> Most of it is probably very Mac-specific and also specific to my system, so
> I will only bore you with it at the end of this mail. However, one thing I
> noticed seems to be a general problem with the autogen.sh script and its
> behaviour regarding version number checking. I have automake1.10 installed,
> and autogen claims that v1.10 < 1.7 - this is not surprising, if the test
> assumes that these version numbers are floats. Anything that can be done
> about this? I have a vague idea what is happening in the script, but I don't
> really feel confident enough to adjust it to do more intelligent checking.

Yes - update the script.

Fixing the script is still work in progress but there's a good enough
version available in svn:
http://svn.librdf.org/repository/raptor/trunk/autogen.sh

You can use the same script for other components in redland as well.
The other autogen.sh versions in svn have not yet been updated.

> I used MacPorts to update all the required programs (automake, autoconf,
> ...) to the latest versions. Unfortunately, MacPorts installs everything
> into /opt/local/bin, whereas the previous versions are in /usr/bin. Both
> /opt/local/bin and /usr/bin are on the $PATH, which is a mess. Is there a
> way for me to a.) clean up this mess (sorry, this question is totally
> Redland-unrelated, please ignore it if it annoys you), or b.) make
> autogen.sh only consider /opt/local/bin as a quick fix?

It seems that autogen.sh will always scan all $PATH directories and
will not stop after finding new enough program.

You can set the following environment variables: AUTOMAKE, ACLOCAL,
AUTOCONF, AUTOHEADER, LIBTOOLIZE, GTKDOCIZE. autogen.sh will then pick
these programs instead of scanning for program* entries in each PATH
directory.

Of course, you can just remove the offending programs in /usr/bin.

Lauri