[redland-dev] Re: 3 Redland C++ bindings in active development

Sebastian Faubel FaubelSe23037 at ohm-hochschule.de
Wed Apr 2 13:06:37 BST 2008

Hello everyone,

thanks for the information Dave. I also agree that we should not waste
development efforts and time to maintain three independent C++ APIs.
I'd like to state shortly what the intention behind my approach was:

I tried to create a as thin as possible wrapper above the original Redland
library, not having any additional dependencies. In this regard my approach
clearly differs from Sebastians/Soprano -- which is in my honest opinion
a really great piece of work and I'd love to use it. I just could'nt tie my other
project to any of the great Desktop C++ APIs, since it is basically not
Desktop related.

Now some facts. I've been developing the API for over a year now and it covers
wide ranges of the Redland C API. It is in active use and development.
There are very little known bugs right now and no memory leaks known. I'm
currently working on a string class to support working with the Redland
unsigned char* arrays compatible to std::string.

I see the situation like this: Soprano offers much more features like a
client/server based infrastructure, multi RDF backend support and so on. My
project puts a thin layer on top of Redland to enable comfortable and efficient
programming with Redland only. As far as I have seen the redlandmm
project comes closest to redland-cpp, but is not as complete. Please
correct my if I'm wrong! I invite everyone interested, especially Dave Robillard
to talk with me about how we could join forces! I'd love to see the project
being used somewhere else and I'm open to any comments and development
efforts! :)

Yours,
Sebastian