[redland-dev] installing redland bindings 1.0.8.1 in shared hosting

Johnson, Matthew C. (LNG-HBE) Matthew.C.Johnson at lexisnexis.com
Thu Jul 10 16:44:30 BST 2008

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble in getting the Redland bindings (1.0.8.1)
installed in my shared hosting environment (i.e. I don't have root) and
I'm hoping someone can provide some comments or advice.  My host is
Linux-based with a kernel version of 2.4.21-51ELsmp and supports Perl,
Python, and the usual assortment of tools (no Java though).

I've downloaded redland-1.0.8.tar.gz and redland-bindings-1.0.8.1.tar.gz
and unpacked both.  The build and install of the Redland libraries seems
to go reasonably smoothly.  Keep in mind that this is shared so I've
built using my own prefix.

cd ./redland-1.0.8/

./configure -prefix=$HOME/myredland/myinstall

make

make check

make install

To be honest, in order to get this to work, I had to copy the
redland-1.0.8/raptor/* and redland-1.0.8/rasqal/* trees into separate
"raptor/" and "rasqal/" directories.  But once I did that, everything
seemed to check out and was installed to $HOME/myredland/myinstall .

Now when I try to build the bindings, I have:

cd ./redland-bindings-1.0.8.1/

./configure -prefix=$HOME/myredland/myinstall -with-perl

make

make check

However, the check fails [in almost all tests as far as I can tell] with
"Can't find loadable object for module RDF::Redland::Core in @INC..."
where @INC includes the paths internal to the build (perl/lib/...,
perl/blib/..., etc.) along with the normal system folders
(/usr/perl5/lib/..., etc.).  When I built this under cygwin (yesterday),
I did not seem to have this problem.  That said, I don't yet have much
experience in using Redland so there may still be a problem (under
cygwin) or I may have missed a build error.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve the error in testing the
bindings?  What other information can I provide?  Thanks for the help.

Matt Johnson