[redland-dev] Re: Installing latest version of librdf on Ubuntu Feisty

Sean Boisen sean at logos.com
Fri Mar 7 16:29:15 GMT 2008

Josh Jontè <jjonte at ...> writes:

> Alrighty, well it sounds like I should skip trying to upgrade libc6.
>
> Evidently, I have libltld installed. "Libltld3 is already the newest version"
>
> Is it really this hard to get libraries working under Linux?  Am I
> making this more difficult than it is?  If I want to use librdf 1.0.7
> from python - how should I do that?  Maybe doing so under Ubuntu was a
> bad idea? Should I just use Windows? Or some other Distro?
>
> Is anyone else using librdf 1.0.7 from Ubuntu 7.10?  Or even Win32?
>
> -josh

I'm using Win32 binaries, but those lag back at 1.0.3, and i haven't been eager
to undertake trying to build newer ones since that's a bit outside my expertise.
Using Python bindings, some parts of it don't seem to work right (see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.rdf.redland.devel/17). So while it's
basically functional for writing RDF (all i'm trying to do for now), i can't
quite give it a ringing endorsement.

Unfortunately i've had no better luck trying to get RDFlib installed for Python
on Windows either (since that wants to compile C extensions): so much for
easy_install :-/ Maybe there just isn't that much Python+RDF development
happening on Windows (by ordinary folk who don't compile their own binaries)?

Sean