[redland-dev] Raptor 2 dev state and installing raptor 1 and raptor 2 together.

Dave Beckett dave at dajobe.org
Mon Mar 29 04:50:51 CEST 2010

I've finished my list of raptor2 API changes (deletions, modifications).
Everything I have left are additions, enhancements and new features, which
can be done at any time.

So Raptor 2 is "ready" in that sense.

It's not ready for release since there's no
- release notes
- updated tutorial
- migration scripts

but more than that, I'm going to alter the way the library is installed.

Raptor today (raptor1 henceforth) installs like this (e.g. in
package libraptor1 in debian):
/usr/lib/libraptor.so.1 -> libraptor.so.1.2.0
/usr/lib/libraptor.so.1.2.0

and the dev stuff (libraptor1-dev in Debian)
/usr/bin/raptor-config
/usr/lib/libraptor.a
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/raptor.pc
/usr/lib/libraptor.la
/usr/share/man/man1/raptor-config.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libraptor.3.gz
/usr/include/raptor.h
/usr/lib/libraptor.so

The rapper utility links to libraptor.so.1 (raptor-utils in Debian)
/usr/bin/rapper
/usr/share/man/man1/rapper.1.gz

I've just realised that raptor2 libraries need to be installable with
raptor1, so that existing programs can continue running.  So I'm going to
rename and move things.
  (This turns out to be similar to how libxml and libxml2 migrated).

The main idea is to rename everything to raptor2.  So the first release
will be a tarball raptor2-2.0.0.tar.gz and the 'make install' will write
to these areas:
(libraptor2 on debian maybe)
/usr/lib/libraptor2.so.1 -> libraptor2.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libraptor2.so.0.0.0

The dev stuff (e.g. libraptor2-dev on debian)
/usr/lib/libraptor2.a
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/raptor2.pc
/usr/lib/libraptor2.la
/usr/share/man/man3/libraptor2.3.gz
/usr/include/raptor2/raptor.h
/usr/lib/libraptor2.so

and the utility package will link to libraptor2.so.2 and will have
no change to the files.

Note that:
1. The deprecated raptor-config program and man page would be removed
   and replaced by pkg-config.
2. pkg-config raptor --libs / --cflags etc. becomes pkg-config raptor2 ...
3. the raptor.h header moves to a subdirectory.  This doesn't need to be
   renamed to raptor2.h necessarily.

I have to think further about how long to support raptor1 (for security
and crash bugs) and raptor2 and parallel.  Something like, as long as
it takes for the rest of the redland stack to support raptor2 for 3
releases?  Or maybe a hard date (end of 2010 and no longer).

Comments welcome.