[redland-dev] Newbie questions

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue May 13 14:35:40 BST 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003 18:52:10 +0100
Paul Keogh <paul.keogh at anam.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've some fairly basic questions to help me get started with redland.
>
> I need something to parse UAProf documents, snippet below;
>
> </prf:component>
> - <prf:component>
> - <rdf:Description ID="MmsCharacteristics">
>   <rdf:type resource="http://www.wapforum.org/profiles/MMS/ccppschema-20010111#MmsCharacteristics" />
>   <prf:MmsMaxMessageSize>51200</prf:MmsMaxMessageSize>
>   <prf:MmsMaxImageResolution>160x120</prf:MmsMaxImageResolution>
> - <prf:MmsCcppAccept>
>
> * Is redland the right approach or is it overkill. For example, I need to get
> the prf:MmsMaxImageResolution element in the above snippet - should I just
> use XPath ? Or am I missing the RDF plot altogether ?

You could use XPath - I'm not sure if UAProf restricts the RDF/XML
you can use.  If it allows anything, you will need an RDF-based
approach.

> * If I should use redland, do I need to use raptor ?

Raptor is now required for Redland - it is the only up-to-date RDF/XML
parser and also provides other functionality for Redland.  You
shouldn't need to worry about Raptor.

> * What example is closest to my requirement ?

I guess you want to do a query and get some results so I'm guessing
you are working in C (you don't say) so try librdf/example1.c You
might also like to look at the librdf/rdf_model.c test code at the
end of the file.

If you are working in another language, any of the main perl, python
or java programs do similar triple manipulation in perl/example.pl
etc.