[redland-dev] Re: "make install" for redland-bindings doesn't install everything?

Dominic Sisneros dom at sisna.com
Mon Jan 24 23:44:40 PST 2005

Lyle Johnson wrote:

>All,
>
>I'm trying to install the latest versions of the Redland RDF
>Application Framework and the Redland Language Bindings (versions
>0.9.19 and 0.9.19.1, respectively). The basic Redland package seems to
>have built and installed fine, but when I try to build and install the
>Ruby language bindings from redland-bindings-0.9.19.1, I don't believe
>it's installing everything that's needed.
>
>The "make install" step does install the C extension module (named
>"redland.bundle" on Mac OS X) to the proper directory. As I understand
>it, that provides a sort-of bare bones layer over the C library. But
>it should also be installing (I think) a set of "pure Ruby" libraries
>that provide a more object-oriented layer on top of that C extension
>module. I can even see these files in the redland-bindings source
>tree, under the "ruby/lib" subdirectory; but they don't get installed
>during the "make install" step.
>
>Since I was so close, I thought I'd fudge it and just copy those files
>to the proper directories. And this gets me a little closer. But then
>it turns out that a number of those files make the assumption that the
>code has been installed via RubyGems, which is a whole 'nother can of
>worms.
>
>So I am at this point trying to get a handle on which pieces I need to
>get, and from where. I know that at one point in time, Dominic
>Sisneros was maintaining some part of this code in his "rdf-redland"
>project over at RubyForge (see http://rdf-redland.rubyforge.org), but
>for some reason I'd gotten it in my head that all of his code had been
>merged back into the main Redland Language Bindings CVS and that his
>old "rdf-redland" project was now defunct (i.e. all of his new
>changes, if any, would be made directly in the Redland CVS tree). Is
>that the case? No? Somebody clue me in, please...
>
>Thanks for reading this far,
>
>Lyle,

Lyle, I am still maintaining the bindings on rubyforge.  I haven't
updated the code lately because I have been using a windows laptop at
work when I travel and haven't been able to get the redland bindings to
compile on my machine.  I have tried with mingw and with the free
Microsoft compiler.

If I can ever get that solved, I plan on doing a major refactor and
upgrade so that it aligns closely with the other ruby rdf packages out
there (rena, semitar).

So, does anyone have a dll for a Windows XP system?

thanks

Dominic