[redland-dev] "make install" for redland-bindings doesn't install everything?

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 03:05:31 PST 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:31:17 -0600, Lyle Johnson <lyle.johnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm trying to install the latest versions of the Redland RDF
> Application Framework and the Redland Language Bindings (versions
> 0.9.19 and 0.9.19.1, respectively). The basic Redland package seems to
> have built and installed fine, but when I try to build and install the
> Ruby language bindings from redland-bindings-0.9.19.1, I don't believe
> it's installing everything that's needed.

That's right.

> The "make install" step does install the C extension module (named
> "redland.bundle" on Mac OS X) to the proper directory. As I understand
> it, that provides a sort-of bare bones layer over the C library. But
> it should also be installing (I think) a set of "pure Ruby" libraries
> that provide a more object-oriented layer on top of that C extension
> module. I can even see these files in the redland-bindings source
> tree, under the "ruby/lib" subdirectory; but they don't get installed
> during the "make install" step.

Yeah, a few weeks ago I was pointed at this mess and I made some
improvements.  The ruby 'make install' now does more sensible things
and I fixed a few bugs along the way.  This is a slightly modified
copy of Dominic's ruby-rdf which gets installed.

> Since I was so close, I thought I'd fudge it and just copy those files
> to the proper directories. And this gets me a little closer. But then
> it turns out that a number of those files make the assumption that the
> code has been installed via RubyGems, which is a whole 'nother can of
> worms.

I've removed the requirement for rubygems; it didn't seem necessary
and wasn't on enough of the systems I use for testing to make it a
requirement.

> So I am at this point trying to get a handle on which pieces I need to
> get, and from where. I know that at one point in time, Dominic
> Sisneros was maintaining some part of this code in his "rdf-redland"
> project over at RubyForge (see http://rdf-redland.rubyforge.org), but
> for some reason I'd gotten it in my head that all of his code had been
> merged back into the main Redland Language Bindings CVS and that his
> old "rdf-redland" project was now defunct (i.e. all of his new
> changes, if any, would be made directly in the Redland CVS tree). Is
> that the case? No? Somebody clue me in, please...

It is mostly merged in now and to prove it, I now make redland-ruby
RPM packages automatically every night.  If you use a linux that
understands RPMs, you can just rpm -ivh the files:

  http://librdf.org/dist/snapshots/redhat/

In due course these'll be released as 0.9.20 but I'm rather stuck
doing other things at the moment.