[redland-dev] Installing latest version of librdf on Ubuntu Feisty

Josh Jontè jjonte at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 17:04:52 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Kieron Taylor <krt1 at soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> Josh Jontè wrote:
>  > I just recently installed Ubuntu and have been getting acclimated with
>  > Unix, but I'm pretty much a n00b.
>  >
>  > So I first tried to install the .deb files found on librdf.org
>  > (thought that sounded easiest) - I get an error saying Unsatisfiable
>  > Dependency: libc6.  I tried installing a bunch of various apt-get
>  > you-name-it-and-i-tried-it, thinking it would kick in at some point.
>  > Well, it didn't.
>
>  Feisty (or Gutsy, having read your later e-mail) is probably not as
>  bang-up-to-date on the libraries as librdf0.deb requires. It is
>  certainly the case in Debian that one needs to be willing to reach into
>  the less stable (or newer) releases in order to get a painless installation.
>
>  The latest Debian package declares it wants libc6 2.7, which I see Gutsy
>  does not have by default. If you want the deb package, you'll have to go
>  beta.

Ahh, ok.  That makes sense, thanks.  Would it just be easiest to
install libc6 2.7?

>  > So, then I thought I could build it locally, because that's how I've
>  > gotten a handful of other libraries to work.  After getting the
>  > source, installing all the dependencies, and finally running
>  > ./configure - I get a "Cannot Find makefile.in" error and it halts.
>  > And I'm not sure how to get it to create a makefile.in
>
>  More than likely, you have a CVS or other release, for which you must
>  run autogen.sh. That will then make the appropriate files ready for
>  ./configure to be run.
>
>  See: http://librdf.org/INSTALL.html

I followed the install guide.  There is no ./configure through the
initial SVN GET, and in order to get a ./configure you have to run
./autogen.sh, which creates ./configure - and I've done all that.

The exact error I get is:

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: error: cannot find input file: Makefile.in

Here is the output from the console when I run ./autogen.sh (hopefully
it's not considered spammy to paste console logs)

josh at laptop:~/Desktop/lib/librdf$ ./autogen.sh
autogen.sh: Looking for programs: automake aclocal autoconf autoheader
libtoolize gtkdocize
autogen.sh: automake program 'automake' V 011000 (min 010700) in /usr/bin
autogen.sh: aclocal program 'aclocal' V 011000 (min 010700) in /usr/bin
autogen.sh: autoconf program 'autoconf' V 026100 (min 025400) in /usr/bin
autogen.sh: autoheader program 'autoheader' V 026100 (min 025400) in /usr/bin
autogen.sh: libtoolize program 'libtoolize' V 010524 (min 010400) in /usr/bin
autogen.sh: gtkdocize program 'gtkdocize' V 010800 (min 010300) in /usr/bin
autogen.sh: Dependencies satisfied

autogen.sh: Processing directory .
autogen.sh: Running libtoolize --ltdl --force --copy --automake
ls: libltdl/*: No such file or directory
libtoolize: cannot list files in `/usr/share/libtool/libltdl'
autogen.sh: Running gtkdocize --copy
autogen.sh: Running aclocal
autogen.sh: Running autoheader
autogen.sh: Running automake --gnu --add-missing --force --copy
configure.ac:31: installing `./missing'
examples/Makefile.am:38: compiling `redland_dbus.c' with per-target
flags requires `AM_PROG_CC_C_O' in `configure.ac'
examples/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
configure.ac:107: required file `./ltmain.sh' not found
autogen.sh: Running autoconf

autogen.sh: WARNING: Running `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`autogen.sh' command line.
autogen.sh: Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-gtk-doc
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for lt_dlinit in -lltdl... no
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 98304
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... no
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... yes
checking whether a statically linked program can dlopen itself... no
checking for gnutar... no
checking for gtar... no
checking for tar... tar
checking for perl... perl
checking for pkg-config... pkg-config
checking for supported gcc warning flags...
checking whether gcc supports -Wall... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wextra... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wshadow... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wpointer-arith... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wstrict-prototypes... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wmissing-prototypes... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wmissing-declarations... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wnested-externs... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wredundant-decls... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wswitch-enum... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wsign-compare... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Werror-implicit-function-declaration... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wwrite-strings... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wpacked... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wmissing-format-attribute... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wpointer-arith... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wcast-align... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Winit-self... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wdeclaration-after-statement... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wold-style-definition... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wno-missing-field-initializers... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wno-unused-parameter... yes
checking whether gcc supports -Wformat-security... yes
checking gcc supports warning flags...  -Wall -Wextra -Wshadow
-Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls
-Wswitch-enum -Wsign-compare -Werror-implicit-function-declaration
-Wwrite-strings -Wpacked -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wpointer-arith
-Wcast-align -Winit-self -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wold-style-definition
-Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-parameter
-Wformat-security
checking for byte... no
checking for u32... no
checking for u64... no
checking for unsigned char... yes
checking size of unsigned char... 1
checking for unsigned int... yes
checking size of unsigned int... 4
checking for unsigned long... yes
checking size of unsigned long... 4
checking for unsigned long long... yes
checking size of unsigned long long... 8
checking BDB version... unknown
checking location of BDB libs... /usr/lib
checking location of BDB includes... /usr/include
configure: WARNING: Cannot find the BDB library name from the files in /usr/lib
configure: WARNING: Assuming it is 'db' and will link like -ldb
configure: WARNING: Use --with-bdb-dbname=NAME if this is wrong
checking name of BDB library... db
checking db.h usability... no
checking db.h presence... no
checking for db.h... no
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking dmalloc.h usability... no
checking dmalloc.h presence... no
checking for dmalloc.h... no
checking time.h usability... yes
checking time.h presence... yes
checking for time.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking getopt.h usability... yes
checking getopt.h presence... yes
checking for getopt.h... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for getopt... yes
checking for getopt_long... yes
checking for memcmp... yes
checking for mkstemp... yes
checking for mktemp... yes
checking for tmpnam... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for getenv... yes
checking for raptor-config... no
checking raptor library source... internal
checking for rasqal-config... no
checking digests wanted... md5 sha1 ripemd160
checking whether to use openssl digests... yes
checking openssl/crypto.h usability... no
checking openssl/crypto.h presence... no
checking for openssl/crypto.h... no
checking for bdb hash support... no
checking for 3store-config... no
checking for 3store library... no
checking for mysql_config... no
checking for sqlite library versions available...
checking using sqlite library... no
checking for pg_config... no
checking for postgresql library... no
checking storages required... all
checking pthread.h usability... yes
checking pthread.h presence... yes
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking if POSIX threads should be used... no
checking for local md5 digest module... yes
checking for local sha1 digest module... yes
checking for local ripemd160 digest module... no
checking using dmalloc library... no
checking using memory signing... no
checking gtk-doc version >= 1.3... yes